Sunday, July 02, 2006

My steeked sweater



I have always wanted to to make a steeked sweater. For those who don't know what that is, it's where you make cardigan by knitting it totally in the round then cutting down the middle of the front to add a button band. This pattern is from an old Lopi pattern book. I just fell in love with the color work and had to give it a try. I did use lopi light and I think it turned out really well. I do plan to teach a class on this early next year. It's not as scary as you might think. Before I cut the front, I ran two rows of straight stitching with my sewing machine so all knit stitches were secure. I can't wait to wear this next winter as it's a very warm sweater. If you have never used lopi yarns, you might find them to be scratchy at first, but I have found that they soften up after you wash and block the yarn. I do mean hand wash. Lopi, at this point in my knitting, in my opinion , is the best yarn for felting. I have tried all colors, even the light ones, and they felt wonderfully. And yes, I plan to take this sweater to the fair.

No comments: