Sunday, August 13, 2006

Latest try at spinning


I'm not sure if you are like me but everytime I think I'm so smart I prove myself wrong. I have been thinking about spinning the silk that I received this month for the Fiber spin-along. So what I thought I would do is pick up some silk/merino wool to try on the Schacht and get used to both the wheel and the silk. I figured it will be easy and it will turn out perfect. NOT So. I first really need to learn my wheel. I spun the entire 4 ounces with the bobbin backwards. I kept thinking that it was the fiber, but no it was that fact that I didn't check what I was doing like I should have. The skein isn't to terriblely bad but there are parts that are over spun and wirey and not at all what I want. I bought this fiber from a friend of mine that will shortly have a web site up and ready to sell to anyone. As soon as that happens I will let you know the address. This fiber is in shades of greens and is 70% merino and 30% tussah silk. I found a neat fingerless glove pattern that I think I will give a try with this as I have to use smaller needles to make a tighter fabric and I think the over spun parts won't show as bad as maybe a looser knit item. So look for the gloves to come soon

No comments: