Monday, March 01, 2010

I am Golden! I almost feel Canadian

The Ravelympics are now over and I am GOLDEN, and yes I almost feel Canadian. Wasn't that the best Olympics in a long time. It was so great to spin and knit and watch all the great competition. I do feel a bit sorry for the Russians they really didn't do all the well did they.
As for me at this Olympic competition I was able to win or I would more say earn three Gold medals.
The first medal I won was the Flying Camel Spin and I have to say I really feel like I was flying there for a bit. I spun 1700 yards of a 3 ply in Shetland roving that I got from a friend of mine. It took me 6 days to spin and ply all the yarn and then set the twist. I bought a bulky flyier for my Sonata thinking it would help me ply faster. The flyier arrived on Wed. right when I had finished up the last bobbin of singles. There was a bit of a mishap. I received the bulky bobbin, the piece to hold the flyier in place but by some odd reason ( Maybe it was from an opposing team) I received a regular flyier. But never fear I decided to forge ahead and use the regular flyer to continue to ply. By the way the Bulky flyier arrived on the day I cast off the sweater. ( definitely a plot to slow me down from an a opposing team)
The second medal was for the not only spinning but knitting a sweater. My Fleece to FO ( Finished Object) was this cardigan. Even though it was a fairly easy knit it was all garter stitch. I have to say it got a bit boring on the light color parts. Once I was at the color changing and the shaping it got more interesting.
I have to add a close up of the sheep buttons. I think they make the sweater. I finished the sweater and had it on the dining room table drying on Thurs. the 25. About a hour before the bulky flyier came. Oh well. I think I know how Apollo Ono might feel. Did he nor did he not get cheated out of the 500m race. He didn't make that guy fall. Not to say the South Koreans pushed China out of the way for the silver in the relay. OK I get off that soap box.
For my last event I entered the Hat half pipe. The reason My husband has a friend who is battling most likely for the last time cancer. Her name is Beth so I'm sure she would love all the prayers she can get. The pattern comes from the Spin Off web site and is turning into one of my favorite hat patterns. The yarn is I love this cotton from Hobby Lobby. Which is a new store to the Boise area. I have herd so much about how great Hobby Lobby is for years. I am so pleased that they just opened a store in past few weeks here in the Boise area. As far as I can see the yarns that they have seem pretty nice for basic low cost yarns. I plan to try their wool yarn on a hat to see how it holds up. Not to worry I don't plan to start knitting and crocheting with acrylic any time soon. I still am a yarn snob but it is still OK to find new basic yarns. The more options the better I say. My family says I have yet to find a yarn I don't like. Well I can only think of one. I really hate Lion Brand Homespun. To expensive for crappy yarn that falls apart while you knit or crochet with it. I will get off my soap box for now.
I hope if you entered the Ravelympics you were able to gain GOLD if not the summer Olympics are just 2 years away, so start planning now.

















No comments: