Thursday, March 18, 2010

With spring come thought of fiber

Its hard to believe that spring is just around the corner, well at least in some places around the US it is. I can't really complain a whole lot as Boise has had a very mild winter. We did get about an inch and half of snow last Saturday but on the whole not much. I think we are in for a long hot dry summer. But lets think of the coming spring. I really enjoy spring time for several reasons. First its the season that my birthday fall in. I do also enjoy all the new growth, as plants break through the grown with promise of beauty to come. Its also the time when sheep get sheered and fleece come available to all us spinners. So my thoughts are beginning to go to what fiber fair to attend what fleece to look for. I am planning on attending the Black sheep gathering in Eugene Oregon this year for the first time. I have always wanted to go even as a teen living in Oregon but for some reason or other I never went. I will be attending with two other friends who have never been either. We can hardly wait. Sign up for classes is coming soon so I will update on what classes I get into.

Spring is also a time for me to start thinking about what plants do I want to try to grow. This year my focus is more on to dye plants. One of my things to try this summer is to dye with natural dyes. So I am planning to grow goldenrod, weld, and maybe a few others. Of course I have all kinds of grand idea until it get to be around 100 degrees and then I totally forget about it. Maybe this year will be different.

What are your plans for spring and planting?

No comments: